A lake existed between the plateau of Rennes and themarket town of Espéraza, occupying the entire valley of the Couleurs. It's mysterious disappearance is linked with that of Asparazanus village, which was located downstream from the present town of Espéraza, which does not yet exist. Quoted at the beginning of the ninth century as the seat of a priory founded by Chapitre d'Alet, it continues to flourish until 1145. Then, suddenly, the documents make no further mention. What has happened? It is likely that it's fate was linked to a natural disaster. Geology would support this hypothesis. For unknown reasons, the lake would spread throughout the Valley of Couleurs, engulfing farms and
villages, including that of Asparazanus. We do not know more until around 1878, when work on the track Carcassonne / Quillan, the diggers unearthed in the area of Garnaud, continuity of current village Espéraza substructures of buildings under eighty centimeters of topsoil. These ruins were located in a field.
Translated from - http://radiomagdala.blogs.midilibre.com/index-1.html
Under cover of a legend passed "from generation to generation," gladly retold about the slope and hill of Laval-Dieu, is that Roland, Charlemagne's nephew was killed in an ambush in the Pyrenees, and was buried somewhere on the banks of the stream of Couleurs. The legend would suggest that the ambush at Roncesvalles did not occur where the chansons de gestes suggest - but in Pas de la Roque, south of Rennes-le-Château (and marked on the map below).
While we believe that Roland is buried in the crypt of the Basilica of Saint-Romain * Blaye (Gironde), the local legend, in reality, is based on a place long known as "the Butte de Roland", near Laval-Dieu, in the vicinity of a former Cistercian abbey, where the last remaining ruins are still there.
In 1978, the case was believed absolutely fanciful, but then there resurfaced a report which may constitute direct evidence of an inhabitant of the neighborhood, who found a gravestone on which the name of ROLANDUS was still visible. When this man wanted to show the object of his discovery, he was unable to recognize the place as the vegetation was too confusing.
* Destroyed by Vauban in the facilities of the citadel of Blaye.
This theory appears to be the work of a researcher called Aetius and can be viewed here: http://www.portail-rennes-le-chateau.com/chanson_roland_roncevaux.htm
In Pegase Number 1 [September/December 2001] Patrick Mensoir published an interesting article called 'The Manuscripts and Stained Glass Windows'. He was researching the correlation between the 'Blue Apples' phenomenon which occurs in the church at Rennes-le-Chateau every 17th January at true noon. As the sun shines through one of the stained-glass windows, blue shapes, resembling apples, are projected onto the wall of the church.
In Rennes-le-Chateau literature this 'blue apples' affect is said to be related to the Large Parchment that Sauniere allegedly found in his church. De Cherisey, in his novel Circuit, connected this 'blue apples' event with Saint Sulpice. Cherisey wrote: "If your figure is lit by a sun ray at midday when it passes through a blue stained glass window. Not any midday of course, but that determined by the meridian line traced in the church of Saint Sulpice and on January 17—day of celebration of Saint Antoine, astronomical midday. And not anywhere, but in the vault of the Angels, that where the demon is found and the angel is overcome by Jacob. The question is summarized with this; to which [place] fall the gift from the sun on January 17 at midday and through the blue stained glass window in this vault, where there is the true key of the treasure”.
In the Rennes-le-Chateau Guidebook it was even reported that the 'blue apples' event occurred at Saint Sulpice until 1891, when it then ceases but later appears at Rennes-le-Chateau!
Mensoir refers to the decoding of the Large Parchment and the first available publication of the decryption - which he cited as being published by Franck Marie in 1978, followed by Lincoln et al in 1991.
Mensoir discusses the often repeated assertion that claimed Sauniere visited Paris on the advice of his bishop, Mr Billard to entrust 'the decoding of manuscripts to some religious specialists'. This trip, according to Corbu and Captier in their later book [The Heritage of Abbe Sauniere] was first mentioned as being recited on tape in 1955/56 by Noel Corbu, a tape which he played in the restaurant he ran called 'La Tour'. It told the fabulous story of Sauniere to his hotel guests as they dined.
Mensoir recounts the year mentioned by Corbu for Sauniere's trip to Paris as 1892. De Sede fixes the trip at the beginning of 1893. Other dates put forward include 1891 and again, 1892.
All the author's, however, agree that Sauniere returned from this Paris trip having had his documents decoded by experts at Saint Sulpice.
Mensoir said the line in the dycryption 'a midi pommes bleues' concerned him. He said that the 'blue apples' phenomenon occurred on the installation of the stained glass windows in the church at Rennes-le-Chateau and Mensoir looked at the evidence for the installation of certain stained glass windows - and concluded that 'unaninmous' information showed that the orders for the stained glass windows occurred around 1887.
Mensoir continues: "All these pieces of evidence tend to show that in 1887, Sauniere made a first payment to the stained glass artist on account for one and the same order for the whole group of stained glass windows for which he then settled in 3 instalments .....as and when he had the finances ....Now, if an order made in 1887 concerned the stained glass windows of the sanctuary, it was one of them (the raising of Lazarus) that produced the phenomenon of three blue apples. In that case, it seems doubtful that the priest would have returned from a visit to Paris in 1891, 1892 or 1893 furnished with a decryption of the manuscript noting this same light effect!'
Does this suggest that the coded manuscripts appeared before the light effect appeared 'literally' - or has the 'blue apples' phenomenon nothing to do with the stained glass window's and the 'Raising of Lazarus' ?
Here is a quote from the famous excursion of SESA (Société d’Etudes Scientifique de l’Aude) reported by TISSEYRE - to Rennes-le-Chateau in 1905 (p99);
"Montés sur une tour de construction récente. nous allons admirer le beau panorama qui se déroule sous nos yeux. A notre gauche, la grande plaine de la Lauzet avec, au fond, le village de Granès et, plus à droite, Saint-Ferriol. Plus près, devant nous, sur un mamelon, s'élevait, parait-il. une forteresse qui défendait Rennes-le-Château aussi appelle-t-on ce mamelon « le Casteillas ». Rien pourtant ne subsiste et il est impossible au chercheur de trouver trace de constructions."
"Mounted on a tour of recent construction we admire the beautiful panorama that unfolds before our eyes. To our left, the great plain of the Lauzet with, basically, the village of Granès and rightmost Saint-Ferriol. Closer to us, on a hill, was, it seems a fortresse. A fortress that defended Rennes-le-Château: also called "the Casteillas." But nothing remains and it is impossible for the researcher to find traces of buildings".
How be it that those on the above excursion were able to 'mount a tour of recent construction' (most certainly the Tour Magdala) in 1905, when the floor to the Tower was finally completed in 1906 only, with the installation of its flooring by Oscar VILA in this year (as evidenced by some of the surviving invoices)?
Welcome to the blog of Rhedesium
My name is Sandy Hamblett, inspired and passionate researcher of the mysteries at Rennes-les-Bains.